Tuesday, May 3, 2011

Why choose this way?

My sister's first was with an epidural, and she thought that was the best way to go. Her second, she planned on it again, and got one... the epidural didn't kick in until 20 minutes before the baby was born (so she could've gone natural) but afterwards developed a spinal headache... not an anesthesiologists' fault, just caused by a little air bubble trapped. She had 1 weeks worth of an immense headache, whilst trying to take care of a newborn. After that, she said she would never have an epidural again.
My mother and other sister had unmedicated births, and so I figured I could too. Since my first, I have become some-what obsessed with helping others to see that they too can have this experience. I am motivated by several factors:

--I believe there are risks associated with intervention in the labor process. Some intervention is good, but I like to have things go as normally and naturally as possible so that the signs that emergency intervention is needed are clearer. Many hospitals have a policy that if you've been in labor for 24 hours there, they must do a C-section. Having an epidural often lengthens labor on average up to 8 or 10 hours.
--You can't effectively push if you have an epidural because you cannot feel your contractions enough, nor do you have control over your muscles.
--Some women do get spinal headaches, or have lingering inability to move their legs after birth. I walked with both of my births after 60 minutes, and could've gotten up sooner if I weren't holding my baby and enjoying an hour with them.
--the labor experience in the hospital is expensive enough without having a $1,500 shot, which has recently become more expensive as anesthesiologists here have begun charging per hour, meaning that some women have had anesthesiology bills even bigger than their hospital stay.
--I hate needles. I dislike shots, or heplocks, or getting my blood drawn. The idea of a big needle going into my back makes me very uncomfortable.
--I believe women were created strong enough to be able to birth without much intervention, and from going through the experience we learn just how strong we are. I think this is an emotional boost and help in the months and years to come as a mother.
--I believe birth is a spiritual experience (it can be spiritual for all mothers) and birthing naturally we get a small taste of the atonement. I don't know how Christ understands a woman in 'travail', but I know that He does, and it has increased my appreciation for His atonement.
--There is a huge sense of relief and accomplishment when the baby is born. Like hiking a mountain peak, it is difficult going up at times... steep and our body does not want to go on... there is a huge reward when we go through all that exertion and finally see the view on top.

No comments:

Post a Comment